What is Sylvera?
What is Sylvera?
Sylvera is a carbon intelligence company that helps buyers evaluate and invest in high-quality carbon credits. Companies with net zero targets rely on Sylvera’s carbon credit ratings to ensure that the offsets they purchase are legitimate and impactful. Our team of experts leverages proprietary data and machine learning (ML) technology to produce the most comprehensive and accessible insights on carbon projects. We deliver independent, in-depth and up-to-date project reports and market intelligence through our online platform and API.
Why do we exist?
Sylvera’s vision for the world is one in which protecting our future is incentivized, and we believe that voluntary carbon markets (VCMs) can effectively fund emissions avoidance and sequestration projects at scale.
However, carbon credit quality and price are highly scrutinized, as it’s difficult to assess the design and performance of carbon projects due to documentation standards being complex, inconsistent and unreliable. Sylvera set out to solve this problem.
With transparency around quality, performance and price, corporations can invest in high-quality projects as part of their science-based net zero strategies. What’s more, if credits demand a premium price, then VCMs can also accelerate real decarbonization by incentivizing corporations to further reduce — instead of offset — their emissions.
Last but not least, with accurate data, we can help ensure that indigenous communities and natural ecosystems get the protection and compensation they deserve. We understand and take seriously the impact of our project assessments and ratings. When projects receive high ratings, the developers of these high-quality projects can be properly rewarded. If projects aren’t performing as advertised, we inform the developer and provide feedback to help them course correct and improve performance and quality over time.
What are the benefits of the Sylvera platform?
The key user benefits of Sylvera's platform are transparency, depth and visibility.
- Transparency: Our frameworks are public so buyers understand exactly what we test and how we do it. They are also peer-reviewed by esteemed Framework Review Committees, made up of scientific experts and carbon market stakeholders.
- Depth: Access the most comprehensive assessments of carbon projects available today. Project reports provide granular analysis of core project characteristics, insightful data visualizations, and interactive maps.
- Visibility: View the whole market of carbon credits at a macro level, or dive deep into individual project performance. Compare quality, price and co-benefits to find the highest-rated credits for the best value.
The Sylvera Carbon Rating System Explained
What Moody’s ratings are to bond credits, Sylvera’s ratings are to carbon credits.
The Sylvera Carbon Credit Rating is based on a deep and holistic analysis of a project's carbon performance, additionality and permanence. It also takes into account the co-benefits the project brings to local communities and the environment. Our ratings are indications of the likelihood that the claimed carbon impact of a project is a true representation of its real impact.
What sets us apart? Depth & Accuracy.
What sets Sylvera apart is our unrivaled depth and accuracy in carbon credit ratings. No other platform provides the level of detail and nuance in project assessments and ratings. To achieve this, we invest in building rigorous bottom-up production systems and frameworks for each project type.
We started with nature-based solutions, like Reducing Deforestation and Forest Degradation (REDD+) – including avoided unplanned deforestation (AUD) and avoided planned deforestation (AUD) – Afforestation, Reforestation and Revegetation (ARR), and Improved Forest Management (IFM).
We also have a team dedicated to building frameworks for technology-based solutions like Renewables (RES), Direct Air Capture (DAC), cookstoves and more.
How do we deliver the most accurate ratings in the market?
- Project-Type-Specific Frameworks: We believe one-size-fits all frameworks produce unreliable results. That’s why we build meticulous frameworks for every project category to accurately test project design, carbon accounting, and climate impact claims.
- Comprehensive Data Extraction & Project Modeling: We extract, clean, and organize data from project design documentation (PDD) and every monitoring report. We meticulously build carbon, strength of baseline and financial additionality models from the ground up.
- Independent Data Validation: Our expert analysts leverage advanced machine learning (ML) technology, verified, independent data, and proprietary field data to test the accuracy of credit issuances and claims.
Find out more about Sylvera
Download our Company Overview here.
Sign up to our newsletter for the latest carbon insights.